Saturday, April 27, 2013

Harrogate Flower Show

I have to admit that the Harrogate Flower Show was a bit more impressive than the Cornwall Flower Show.  It was a lot bigger than the Cornwall show with more exhibits and space.  The Cornwall show however was nice that it was at an estate with nice country side where this show was at a show grounds which weren't particularly nice.  Thursday morning at work they asked me if I wanted to go to the show that day because they needed some extra help with one of their booths.  The RHS is involved in several projects particularly those that involve the education of young people about horticulture.  I was helping with the education booth we were teaching kids to make paper pots which are recyclable and decomposable and then planting them with a sunflower seed.  It was a fun morning teaching the kids not at all what I expected to be doing that day.  I helped out at the booth until lunch time and then I had the rest of the afternoon to check out the show.  Fortunately it was a pretty nice day outside so I was able to enjoy the outside exhibits as well as the indoor ones.  Not only did the show have indoor show gardens which were a site to see they also had outdoor show gardens created by landscape companies as well as college groups.  Some of them were pretty incredible there was one that was called the living room which created a family room out of living plant material.  There was floral art again as well; the ideas that people come up with are incredible.  Along with all of this there were lots of booths selling horticulture tools to crafts.  There was also a tent devoted entirely to food which I enjoyed.  In the booth they also had cooking demonstrations.  I sat down and watched one; it was nice to sit down and rest but the demonstration smelled so good and made me hungry.  All in all it was an amazing but unexpected day.









No comments:

Post a Comment