Saturday, April 20, 2013

Harlow Carr Nursery

 I finished my first week off working in the Harlow Carr nursery.  We started out sowing seeds of perennials, annuals, and vegetables.  I was able to sow my favorite vegetable kohlrabi!!!  Below you can see photos of all the seed trays under the covers on the heated mist bench.  Once these seeds germinate they need to be pricked out which was my next task.  Each seedling had to removed from the tray and then put in its own pot.  Other tasks for the week included labeling plants the nursery has grown which they are going to supply to their garden center.  This is new for the nursery to provide the garden center with plants they produced.  This comes with consumers wanting locally sourced plant material.  We also potted some snow drops which will be planted out this fall in the garden.  There was a lot of plant moving that went on to make room for more plants.  The weather was nice towards the end of the week and it was kind of a shame being stuck in the nursery it even got a little to warm working it there.   Friday afternoon was gorgeous so I took a little walk around the garden after work.



No comments:

Post a Comment