Saturday, June 8, 2013

Warmer Weather Finally

 I think spring/summer has finally arrived here in North Yorkshire.  Warm weather (about 70 degrees) means its time for planting.  While working with the productive team I have been doing some harvesting of asparagus and radishes both of which I was able to take home and sample.... amazing.  Also we have been doing reseeding so after harvesting the radishes I resowed with more radishes.  The nursery is at max capacity so it is key that we start getting plants into the garden  so we have been planting lots of beans, peas, and herbs.  With the warm weather everything has come to life including the living willow wall which I was in charge of stripping the bottom clear of new shoots to maintain the screen visitors can look through.  In the fall they will top the willow wall to prevent it from getting to high.  They have a dye bed where they grow plants that can be used to make dyes which I planted some hollyhocks in.  In the teaching garden we have been doing a lot of work vegetable wise as well.  We have been doing loads of planting, topping up potatoes, and harvesting herbs.  In one of the beds I planted the three sisters sweet corn, squash, and beans.  It has been really nice to have some warmer weather to get out into the garden and do some planting. 







No comments:

Post a Comment